Saturday, March 17, 2007

It's Been Such A Long Time













Another day, another rock star has died. At least that's what I thought at first. I used to like Boston. I probably still do, just not on a daily basis. When I heard about the death of the lead singer, Brad Delp, I felt a little sadness and then I moved on.

A few days later I heard that he had committed suicide. And then I heard how: He locked himself into his bathroom and then lit two charcoal grills. At some point he laid his head down on a pillow and died from carbon monoxide poisoning. I wonder how long it took? Did he grill anything up in there while awaiting his fate?

It's a weird way to commit suicide. I'm not one of those freakies who analyzes how to commit suicide. Seriously. But this is a weird, weird way to do this. I'm guessing he felt "no pain", as they say. And I'm also guessing that was his biggest reason for selecting this method to end his life.

Some information from his suicide notes have been made public. He had at least one note clipped to his shirt that read: Mr. Brad Delp. J’ai une ame solitaire. I am a lonely soul.

There was another note on the garage door that read: To whoever finds this I have hopefully committed suicide. Plan B was to asphyxiate myself in my car.

Others said: I take complete and sole responsibility for my present situation.

And: I have lost my desire to live.

A little looksie at the Official Boston Band site will find some curious text, which is really an email Brad's bandmate sent to Rolling Stone Magazine this week. The very last sentence of that email reads: "...Brad and I have been used and abused throughout our adult life by the music business, it continues even in his death. Please do the right thing with this..."

I smell a made-for-tv movie very soon. Anyone know what all the drama is about? I mean I hate to be insensitive but what could make a person charcoal themself to death, leaving behind a fiance and two kids? Not to mention the countless other family and friends who are left with a note taped to a garage door and some kind of flimsy "I'm lonely" and "I'm responsible" message. What is his definition of responsible, exactly?

Yea I know, there's more to the story, and it's none of my business. But bitch, please. My desire to have stories wrapped up nice and neat with a little bow attached to a pretty little ending is not being met here. I want more and I don't want to have to watch Lifetime or VH-1 fucking True Stories to get it. Do I really care? No. But charcoaling yourself to death really deserves a closer look. That guy wanted some notoriety, even in death, right?

I'm headed outta town today to spend the night in Orlando with a good friend who likes Boston (and Journey) just as much as I do. We will have a drink in honor of all of you, and in honor of Brad Delp, and St. Patrick too of course.

And I think I will listen to some Boston on my 3 hour drive to Orlando.

“May your blessings outnumber, the shamrocks that grow, And may trouble avoid you wherever you go.”

Cheers!

No comments: